Thursday, March 27, 2014

SPELL READING 9: Time, Space and the Eclipse of the Earth

The Lacota used to place stones in a circle around a central stone in order to measure a year. I have always been amazed by how ancient tribes used to be able to create structures that would use shadows and sunlight to tell time and seasons. It really blows my mind.

On page 189 of the Spell of the Sensuous Abram writes:

"On the high plateaus in the Rocky Mountains, where the visible horizon is especially vast and wide, are circular arrangements of stones arrayed around a central hub. It is known that such "medicine wheels," still used by various North American tribes, once served a calendrical function."

I created a miniature version of one of these time telling circles. I arranged some rocks around a central rock on a wooden square that I cut to size and sanded. Then to show about how big I imagined it would be in real life I put a small toy man beside the rocks.


No comments:

Post a Comment