Monday, April 21, 2014

Sea Prism, The Prism of the Sea

 During research about happenings around St. Augustine I came across an article about Dr. Stanley Paris, a 76 year old man who is sailing around the world solo. He set sail from St. Augustine in November 2013. When he is finished with his journey he will have set the world records for the first person to sail around the world solo and the oldest person to sail around the world. I found this to be very remarkable and I decided I wanted to make a tribute to his voyage.

The Sea Prism is that tribute.





Here is a link to the Dr. Stanley's website:
http://stanleyparis.com/
For my tribute I wanted to create a floating object to set sail in the harbor where Dr. Stanley left from on his way around the globe. I wanted to create something based on the nice triangular shape of a sail without directly creating a sail. I decided to create a pyramid frame out of wooden dowels atop a wooden base. I then put nails along all the edges and wrapped yarn across each side. The total structure is 4'x4'x3' and sits on an inflatable tube. It has been nicknamed the Sea Prism or David Buoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment