Friday, March 14, 2014

Peephole Project

I chose the local business Planet! Sarbez! to use for my peephole project. Planet! Sarbez! is a new business here in St. Augustine that sells clothing made by owner Ryan Kunch as well as the best grilled cheese sandwiches in the world. The store is very unique and eclectic and full of bright colors and interesting artwork and furniture.

I wanted to create my peephole project to capture some of the playful and exuberant personality that Planet! Sarbez! displays daily. I built a  box out of foam board and spray painted the outside all silver. One of the walls of the box is on the outside of the front window of the store while the rest of the box sits inside the shop. When you look in the peephole on the front face of the box you see a glowing space-scape. I created planets out of styrofoam balls and spray paint and hung them from thread. I created an alien space ship out of wood and spray painted that as well. There is a black light  and red light inside the box for mood lighting. In the lower corner standing on a planet surface of yarn is the cantina band from Star Wars.

I decided to name my peephole TVC15 which is the name of a song by David Bowie. In the song Bowie sings about a hallucination that Iggy Pop had while at Bowie's house where his girlfriend was eaten by his television set.















No comments:

Post a Comment