Wednesday, March 12, 2014

SPELL READING 8: In the Landscape of Language

I responded to the part of the chapter on page 160 where Abram talks about Apache persons associating certain locations with specific relatives or ancestors who walked there. On PAGE 160 Abram writes:

"Apache persons often associate places with particular ancestors. Indeed, the earthly places seem to speak to certain persons in the voices of those grandparents who first "shot" them with stories, or even speak in the voices of those long-dead ancestors whose follies and exploits are related in the 'agodzaahi tales."

I think it is cool to relate the land you walk to those who walked it before you. I associate the land of St. Augustine with Juan Ponce de Leon. Abram says that the Apache used to even talk in the voices of those ancestors who had relevance to these spots. I found audio that I portrayed to be Ponce de Leon's voice speaking in this location 500 years ago. Then I went over to the statue of Ponce by the Bridge of Lions and got some footage of cars and people going about. I put the audio over the video clips and ran a filter on the video to make it appear aged. I call the video "Juan's World."


No comments:

Post a Comment